Moving AW Files from 5 to 6

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Moving AW Files from 5 to 6

Postby Stanley Jayne » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:58 am

What am I not doing right?

I am trying to move a spreadsheet file from a G3 OS9 machine to a G4 OSX laptop without success.

I have tried different file formats (even Sylk) and different memory devices. I even tried E-mail. Nothing is helping

The OSX shows the file with a generic icon that is compatible with nothing I have on the computer. AW6 does not recognize the file either.

It is as if something is not turned on in AW6 and OSX.

I am a (very) longtime user of AW and OS9 but relative new to OSX.

Thank you.
Stanley Jayne

Re: Moving AW Files from 5 to 6

Postby haumann » Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:39 pm

Stanley Jayne wrote:What am I not doing right?

I am trying to move a spreadsheet file from a G3 OS9 machine to a G4 OSX laptop without success.

I have tried different file formats (even Sylk) and different memory devices. I even tried E-mail. Nothing is helping

The OSX shows the file with a generic icon that is compatible with nothing I have on the computer. AW6 does not recognize the file either.

Thank you.

I'm going to assume that when you say you can't "move" the file, you actually mean that you're apparently unable to "open" the file in AW6. Based on what you've described, I'm quite confident that you have indeed successfully "moved" the file -- multiple times, and in apparently various formats. Unfortunately, there's no description of your attempted means to "open" any of these moved files.

Since you didn't say, I'll assume that your attempted method of opening the original was via the File >Open... menu. I'll guess that the AW5 file wasn't "recognized" because it lacked the ".cwk" filename extension because OS 9 didn't employ these extensions. Either rename the file, adding the appropriate extension, or try the "Open..." dialog again, but make sure the File Format pop-up is set to "All Available".

Did you try just double-clicking the file's icon in the Finder (or desktop) window? It should have either opened directly, or if the file wasn't recognized, a dialog box should have opened for you to navigate to the AppleWorks application and select it.

Other methods for opening the spreadsheet would include 1) dragging the file's icon directly onto the AW6 application Finder or Dock icon; 2) opening a blank AW6 spreadsheet window and dragging the file's icon from the Finder or desktop into the SS window.

All this assumes that the subject document isn't corrupt, and will still open in AW5.

John@was
haumann

Re: Moving AW Files from 5 to 6

Postby Peggy » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:59 pm

haumann wrote:
Stanley Jayne wrote:What am I not doing right?

Thank you.

I'm going to assume that when you say you can't "move" the file, you actually mean that you're apparently unable to "open" the file in AW6. Based on what you've described, I'm quite confident that you have indeed successfully "moved" the file -- multiple times, and in apparently various formats. Unfortunately, there's no description of your attempted means to "open" any of these moved files.

Since you didn't say, I'll assume that your attempted method of opening the original was via the File >Open... menu. I'll guess that the AW5 file wasn't "recognized" because it lacked the ".cwk" filename extension because OS 9 didn't employ these extensions. Either rename the file, adding the appropriate extension, or try the "Open..." dialog again, but make sure the File Format pop-up is set to "All Available".

Did you try just double-clicking the file's icon in the Finder (or desktop) window? It should have either opened directly, or if the file wasn't recognized, a dialog box should have opened for you to navigate to the AppleWorks application and select it.

Other methods for opening the spreadsheet would include 1) dragging the file's icon directly onto the AW6 application Finder or Dock icon; 2) opening a blank AW6 spreadsheet window and dragging the file's icon from the Finder or desktop into the SS window.

All this assumes that the subject document isn't corrupt, and will still open in AW5.

John@was

As John said, OS X probably can't identify the file without the 3-letter extension. I have found that this problem usually occurs when using a PC-formatted media (USB flash drive or Zip disk). There is a user tip on Apple's site that goes into more depth on this subject. http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx? ... 7.68ab90e9
Peggy

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo