What Happened to My Font And How Do I Get it Back?

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

What Happened to My Font And How Do I Get it Back?

Postby Roslyn » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:53 pm

I'm a writer and I've been using AW for a while for my manuscripts. I updated to the latest version and suddenly I don't have Time New Roman anymore. And my Character Palette doesn't work anymore. The font is gone from my font book. What on earth happened and how can I get my font back (for free) and get CP to work? Thanks for your help.
Roslyn

Re: What Happened to My Font And How Do I Get it Back?

Postby Dale » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:11 am

Roslyn wrote:I'm a writer and I've been using AW for a while for my manuscripts. I updated to the latest version and suddenly I don't have Time New Roman anymore.

I'm guessing you mean you upgraded to AppleWorks 6.2.9. But from what version - AppleWorks 5 or an earlier version of AppleWorks 6?

An upgrade to AppleWorks 6.2.9 from an earlier version of AppleWorks 6 does not remove any of your fonts. If that's what's happened then this is problem with your Mac OS X installation and not with AppleWorks 6. You should visit Apple's Support web site to get further help troubleshooting a Mac OS X problem.

NB If you're using Mac OS X 10.4 then you can use the Font Book program to check if Times New Roman is installed on your Mac.

Roslyn wrote:And my Character Palette doesn't work anymore. The font is gone from my font book. What on earth happened and how can I get my font back (for free) and get CP to work? Thanks for your help.

What do you mean by "my Character Palette doesn't work anymore"? Character Palette has never worked with AppleWorks. Do you mean it's not available from the 'flag menu' on your Mac? Or do you mean that it does not work even when you select it from the flag menu?

NB If Character Palette does not appear in the flag menu then you only need to turn it back on. That is, start System Preferences, choose International, select the Input Menu tab on the right, then click the On button for Character Palette.

Dale
Dale

Postby Roslyn » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:47 pm

No, the flag menu is still there, but when I try to insert a character into my document it looks like gibberish instead of being the character I inserted.
Roslyn

Postby Peggy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:31 am

Roslyn wrote:No, the flag menu is still there, but when I try to insert a character into my document it looks like gibberish instead of being the character I inserted.

As Dale said, Character Palette doesn't work with AppleWorks. There are a few characters that do, but most don't, so it's easier to just not use it with AppleWorks. Instead use Keyboard Viewer to see all of the characters in a font that are available to AppleWorks.
Peggy

Postby Roslyn » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:16 am

Okay, am I going crazy? It used to work with AppleWorks, or am I imagining things? I use some nonstandard characters that aren't on the keyboard. Primarily dingbats to indicate page breaks. In particular I like to use a little curlicue heart. (I write romances). I've been using it for a while, did this change with the new version?
Roslyn

Postby Barry » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:24 am

Roslyn wrote:Okay, am I going crazy? It used to work with AppleWorks, or am I imagining things? I use some nonstandard characters that aren't on the keyboard. Primarily dingbats to indicate page breaks. In particular I like to use a little curlicue heart. (I write romances). I've been using it for a while, did this change with the new version?

I suspect the change involved is an updating of a number of fonts from the Mac Roman encoded ones you and I are used to to new Unicode encoded versions, Checking a few of the font names that were non-alphabetical characters in Mac OS X (Symbol and Zapf Dingbats for example) using Keyboard Viewer showed the same character set on the keys as a 'standard' Mac font such as Geneva. With the greatly increased number of characters available in Unicode fonts, it loks like the standard is to put the 'regular' characters into the space used previously for the full Mac Roman set, and to place all the non-standard characters, including the full set of what used to be included in Zapf Dingbats, in the upper reaches where they're accessible only by Unicode compliant applications (which does not include AppleWorks).

If you need these characters, it may be time to move your word processing to Pages, or to some other Unicode compliant application.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo