Database question

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Database question

Postby Paula » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:41 pm

I have an existing database used for mailing labels (names, addresses, etc.). I need to import an ascii text file of additional names, etc., (originally created in QuarkXpress) into that database. When I import it, each line of text in the ascii file creates a separate entry in the AppleWorks file. What do I need do differently in creating the ascii file to make it import properly?
Paula

Re: Database question

Postby Peggy » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:14 pm

Paula wrote:I have an existing database used for mailing labels (names, addresses, etc.). I need to import an ascii text file of additional names, etc., (originally created in QuarkXpress) into that database. When I import it, each line of text in the ascii file creates a separate entry in the AppleWorks file. What do I need do differently in creating the ascii file to make it import properly?

The Quark file may be a comma-delimited rather than the tab-delimited format that AppleWorks uses. You need to separate the lines with tabs & each record with a return. You can fix this by opening the ASCII file in an AppleWorks word processing document & replacing the characters between lines with tabs.

After opening the file in AppleWorks, type ⌘ ; to show invisibles. This will let you see exactly what characters are separating the lines. If the line end character is a "return" Image, that will be the same as the one dividing the record & will take about three steps to "fix." If it is a "soft return" Image, note the shorter "up arm," between lines it will be a one-step replace process. Comma-delimited, if the commas are enclosed by quotes, will also be a one-step process.

For returns separating lines as well as records is not difficult if the records are separated by double returns. If they are not, it will require manually creating double-returns first. Open the Find/Replace dialog by typing ⌘ F & type \p\p in the Find box & a "nonsense" character in the Change box. I use ))) but you can use any one you want that would not be in the text. Click Change All & OK twice. Now, type \p in Find & \t in Change > Change All > OK > OK. Last, type the nonsense in Find & \p in Change > Change All > OK > OK.

If the lines are separated by soft returns, type \n in Find & \t in Change > Change All > OK > OK. If they are separated by ",", type that in Find & \t in Change > Change All > OK > OK.

Now you can copy all of the text in this word processing document & paste it into your database.
Peggy

Re: Database question

Postby Paula » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:33 pm

Peggy wrote:
Paula wrote:I have an existing database used for mailing labels (names, addresses, etc.). I need to import an ascii text file of additional names, etc., (originally created in QuarkXpress) into that database. When I import it, each line of text in the ascii file creates a separate entry in the AppleWorks file. What do I need do differently in creating the ascii file to make it import properly?

The Quark file may be a comma-delimited rather than the tab-delimited format that AppleWorks uses. You need to separate the lines with tabs & each record with a return. You can fix this by opening the ASCII file in an AppleWorks word processing document & replacing the characters between lines with tabs.

After opening the file in AppleWorks, type ? ; to show invisibles. This will let you see exactly what characters are separating the lines. If the line end character is a "return" Image, that will be the same as the one dividing the record & will take about three steps to "fix." If it is a "soft return" Image, note the shorter "up arm," between lines it will be a one-step replace process. Comma-delimited, if the commas are enclosed by quotes, will also be a one-step process.

For returns separating lines as well as records is not difficult if the records are separated by double returns. If they are not, it will require manually creating double-returns first. Open the Find/Replace dialog by typing ? F & type \p\p in the Find box & a "nonsense" character in the Change box. I use ))) but you can use any one you want that would not be in the text. Click Change All & OK twice. Now, type \p in Find & \t in Change > Change All > OK > OK. Last, type the nonsense in Find & \p in Change > Change All > OK > OK.

If the lines are separated by soft returns, type \n in Find & \t in Change > Change All > OK > OK. If they are separated by ",", type that in Find & \t in Change > Change All > OK > OK.

Now you can copy all of the text in this word processing document & paste it into your database.

Thank you so much! Problem solved.
Paula

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo