Database problem

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Database problem

Postby fschneiderxx » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:55 am

I have a simple attendance database. The people are in column A. A meeting date is in Column B with the attendance in the row of the person. Column C has the same data, but a different date. Same for Column D, E, etc. The database has gone as far as Column S. I can not go to Column T. Stuck in Column S. How do I continue on to other columns? Thanks in advance.
fschneiderxx

Re: Database problem

Postby Barry » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:14 am

fschneiderxx wrote:I have a simple attendance database. The people are in column A. A meeting date is in Column B with the attendance in the row of the person. Column C has the same data, but a different date. Same for Column D, E, etc. The database has gone as far as Column S. I can not go to Column T. Stuck in Column S. How do I continue on to other columns? Thanks in advance.

From your description (Column A, Column B, Column C, etc.), you are doing this in a Spreadsheet document rather than a Database. Or, considering that your grid seems to end at Column T, you may have a spreadsheet frame inserted into a word processor (or Draw) document (spreadsheets in frames default to 20 columns wide by 50 rows high).

What is the full name of your ducument, as displayed in the title bar when the document is open? (Example: My Document (XX) )

An answer will help with understanding what you're working with, and may help in answering your question.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby fschneiderxx » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:09 am

Barry wrote:
fschneiderxx wrote:I have a simple attendance database. The people are in column A. A meeting date is in Column B with the attendance in the row of the person. Column C has the same data, but a different date. Same for Column D, E, etc. The database has gone as far as Column S. I can not go to Column T. Stuck in Column S. How do I continue on to other columns? Thanks in advance.

From your description (Column A, Column B, Column C, etc.), you are doing this in a Spreadsheet document rather than a Database. Or, considering that your grid seems to end at Column T, you may have a spreadsheet frame inserted into a word processor (or Draw) document (spreadsheets in frames default to 20 columns wide by 50 rows high).

What is the full name of your ducument, as displayed in the title bar when the document is open? (Example: My Document (XX) )

An answer will help with understanding what you're working with, and may help in answering your question.

Regards,
Barry

The name is Attendance records. Nothing before or after.

In Preview there is a sheet of papre with the top right hand corner folded in. On the paper there as an "A" with a picture (?) attached to the bottom rigtht hand corner of the "A", snf as pencil sliding between the "A" and picture.

Kind : com.apple. appleworks.document
Size: 88 KB on deisk (85,148 bytes)
Where: Macintosh HD. Users:FWS: Documents:retrospect:Personal:Cable Advisory Committee
Created: Monday, Jun e 12, 2006 12;53 PM
Modified: Monday, November 13, 2006 10;48 PM.

I hope this is helpful. MANY THANKS!
fschneiderxx

Postby Didier » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:13 pm

you may have a spreadsheet frame inserted into a word processor (or Draw) document (spreadsheets in frames default to 20 columns wide by 50 rows high).
Regards,
Barry

In Preview there is a sheet of papre with the top right hand corner folded in.

Hello,

You're describing an icon ...
....What we need to know is what you can read at the top of the window when your file named "Attendance records" is open.
Barry is guessing you are working on a Drawing or Word Processor document with a Spreadsheet in it.

When your file is open, you should see in the title bar:
Attendance records.cwk(WP)
or
Attendance records.cwk(DR)

As I'm guessing like Barry, as soon as we'll know which kind of AppleWorks file you're working with, we'll try to help.
Regards,
Didier
Didier

Postby Barry » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:28 am

fschneiderxx wrote:
Barry wrote:

What is the full name of your document, as displayed in the title bar when the document is open? (Example: My Document (XX) )

In Preview there is a sheet of papre with the top right hand corner folded in. On the paper there as an "A" with a picture (?) attached to the bottom rigtht hand corner of the "A", snf as pencil sliding between the "A" and picture.

Where: Macintosh HD. Users:FWS: Documents:retrospect:Personal:Cable Advisory Committee

As Didier notes, your description is of the AppleWorks icon and information on this file as it appears in a Finder window, not the name of the document as it appears in the title bar when the file is opened. That name will be either

Attendance records.cwk (XX)
or
Attendance records (XX)

depending mostly on when the original was made. The important part is the two letters that appear where I've put "XX".

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby fschneiderxx » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:48 am

Barry wrote:
fschneiderxx wrote:
Barry wrote:

What is the full name of your document, as displayed in the title bar when the document is open? (Example: My Document (XX) )

As Didier notes, your description is of the AppleWorks icon and information on this file as it appears in a Finder window, not the name of the document as it appears in the title bar when the file is opened. That name will be either

Attendance records.cwk (XX)
or
Attendance records (XX)

depending mostly on when the original was made. The important part is the two letters that appear where I've put "XX".

Regards,
Barry

Now I got it. The title bar says Attendancere Records (SS). Now that answers your question. Sorry it took me so long. What do I do now?
fschneiderxx

Postby Barry » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:24 pm

fschneiderxx wrote:Now I got it. The title bar says Attendance Records (SS). Now that answers your question. Sorry it took me so long. What do I do now?

I have a simple attendance database. The people are in column A. A meeting date is in Column B with the attendance in the row of the person. Column C has the same data, but a different date. Same for Column D, E, etc. The database has gone as far as Column S. I can not go to Column T. Stuck in Column S. How do I continue on to other columns?

OK. the SS in the title bar means you are working with a spreadsheet. If you haven't changed the size since opening it, the sheet should be 40 columns wide (A..AN) and 500 rows high, so you should have plenty of room to work with.

You should be able to move from cell S1 to T1 by pressing the tab key, or go directly to T1 by clicking in that cell. What happens when you do either of these? Is there a change in the location reported in the box above the first visible column?

Try clicking on the column header for Column T. What happens?

What happens when you try to enter data in column T? Does AppleWorks present a message?

While I can't yet tell what's going on in this case, there are a few things you can do that may help, and won't harm.

The problem may be some corruption creeping into the spreadsheet. Although I haven't seen this particular problem, two procedures that have worked to remove some corruptions from spreadsheets are as follows. The two are independent of each other, and both start with your original file.

Some spreadshets may be fixed by simply copying the data from the original to a new spreadsheet.
Open the original spreadsheet and select A1..Sn, where n is the last row containing data, then Copy.
Open a new spreadsheet, click in A1, then Paste. Save the new spreadsheet, making a minor change to the name to avoid overwriting the original. Try entering data on the new spreadsheet. When you're satisfied that it is working, the original may be discarded. If the problem is not solved, try suggestion #2.

Open the spreadsheet, then Save As... Change the File Format to AppleWorks 5.0, change the name to "Attendance Records a" (or make some other minor change), then click Save. Close the original file, and open the AppleWorks 5 copy. If that solves the problem, Save the new version of the file (leaving the a on the end of the file name to avoid overwriting the original). When you're satisfied that the new version is working, the original may be discarded.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby fschneiderxx » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:22 am

Barry wrote:
fschneiderxx wrote:Now I got it. The title bar says Attendance Records (SS). Now that answers your question. Sorry it took me so long. What do I do now?

I have a simple attendance database. The people are in column A. A meeting date is in Column B with the attendance in the row of the person. Column C has the same data, but a different date. Same for Column D, E, etc. The database has gone as far as Column S. I can not go to Column T. Stuck in Column S. How do I continue on to other columns?

OK. the SS in the title bar means you are working with a spreadsheet. If you haven't changed the size since opening it, the sheet should be 40 columns wide (A..AN) and 500 rows high, so you should have plenty of room to work with.

You should be able to move from cell S1 to T1 by pressing the tab key, or go directly to T1 by clicking in that cell. What happens when you do either of these? Is there a change in the location reported in the box above the first visible column?

Try clicking on the column header for Column T. What happens?

What happens when you try to enter data in column T? Does AppleWorks present a message?

While I can't yet tell what's going on in this case, there are a few things you can do that may help, and won't harm.

The problem may be some corruption creeping into the spreadsheet. Although I haven't seen this particular problem, two procedures that have worked to remove some corruptions from spreadsheets are as follows. The two are independent of each other, and both start with your original file.

Some spreadshets may be fixed by simply copying the data from the original to a new spreadsheet.
Open the original spreadsheet and select A1..Sn, where n is the last row containing data, then Copy.
Open a new spreadsheet, click in A1, then Paste. Save the new spreadsheet, making a minor change to the name to avoid overwriting the original. Try entering data on the new spreadsheet. When you're satisfied that it is working, the original may be discarded. If the problem is not solved, try suggestion #2.

Open the spreadsheet, then Save As... Change the File Format to AppleWorks 5.0, change the name to "Attendance Records a" (or make some other minor change), then click Save. Close the original file, and open the AppleWorks 5 copy. If that solves the problem, Save the new version of the file (leaving the a on the end of the file name to avoid overwriting the original). When you're satisfied that the new version is working, the original may be discarded.

Regards,
Barry

Number 1 worked. I am keeping that and getting rid of the original spreadsheet.

Many thanks for your help. Sorry I started off thinking it was a data base. All is fixed now.

Maybe some dayh I will be good enough so that I can give instead of take advice. Thanks again.
fschneiderxx

Postby Barry » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:12 pm

fschneiderxx wrote:
Barry wrote:The problem may be some corruption creeping into the spreadsheet. Although I haven't seen this particular problem, two procedures that have worked to remove some corruptions from spreadsheets are as follows. The two are independent of each other, and both start with your original file.

Open a new spreadsheet, click in A1, then Paste. Save the new spreadsheet, making a minor change to the name to avoid overwriting the original. Try entering data on the new spreadsheet. When you're satisfied that it is working, the original may be discarded.

Number 1 worked. I am keeping that and getting rid of the original spreadsheet.

Many thanks for your help. Sorry I started off thinking it was a data base. All is fixed now.

Maybe some day I will be good enough so that I can give instead of take advice. Thanks again.

Thanks for returning and saying what worked. Keep checking the forum, and please do offer some advice whenever you feel comfortable doing so. I look forward to it!

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo