Cleaning up the cache

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Cleaning up the cache

Postby Mary B. » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:44 pm

The Feb. 2007 issue of AppleWorks Journal has a tip on cleaning out the AppleWorks cache. I followed the instructions but Spotlight didn't find anything. I then followed the instructions for older versions of the OS and found the Cache folder, but it had nothing in it. Should I be concerned? I did just recently clear the Recent Items file - would that explain why there was nothing in the Cache? (I'm running OS X 10.4.8 and AppleWorks 6.2.9) Thanks in advance for your help.
Mary B.

Cleaning up the cache

Postby TonyB » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:51 pm

I had a bit of trouble finding "Recent Items" with the new Spotlight also. This new snort-belchfire computer is indeed cornfusing. However, if you double-click on your hard drive icon and then go to:

Documents>Appleworks User Data>Starting Points>Recent Items

you should find all those pesky files to delete in THAT folder.

BTW, if you "Quit" all Applications and go back to the Desktop (Finder) mode, you can use "Command-F" and you'll be back in good old Sherlock and a Recent Items search will restore your confidence.

'hope this helps.

TonyB
TonyB

Re: Cleaning up the cache

Postby Mary B. » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:27 pm

TonyB wrote:I had a bit of trouble finding "Recent Items" with the new Spotlight also. This new snort-belchfire computer is indeed cornfusing. However, if you double-click on your hard drive icon and then go to:

BTW, if you "Quit" all Applications and go back to the Desktop (Finder) mode, you can use "Command-F" and you'll be back in good old Sherlock and a Recent Items search will restore your confidence.

'hope this helps.

TonyB

Thanks for letting me know I wasn't alone in having trouble with Spotlight.

However my real question has to do with the AppleWorks cache file. The Journal article implied that the file should be cleaned out periodically, but my cache had nothing in it even though I've been using AppleWorks for several years and have never before tried to clean out the cache. I'm wondering if the program isn't working properly and, if so, what I can/should do about it. Any thoughts, anyone?
Mary B.

Postby Peggy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:16 am

Mary B. wrote:
TonyB wrote:I had a bit of trouble finding "Recent Items" with the new Spotlight also. This new snort-belchfire computer is indeed cornfusing. However, if you double-click on your hard drive icon and then go to:

'hope this helps.

TonyB

However my real question has to do with the AppleWorks cache file. The Journal article implied that the file should be cleaned out periodically, but my cache had nothing in it even though I've been using AppleWorks for several years and have never before tried to clean out the cache. I'm wondering if the program isn't working properly and, if so, what I can/should do about it. Any thoughts, anyone?

I think the article you're referring to is about cleaning out the Recent Items aliases or it is one about deleting the AppleWorks preferences, two of which do have "cache" in the file name. Those preferences are located in HD > Users > [your account] > Library > Preferences > AppleWorks. The Cache folder in [your home account] > Documents > AppleWorks User Data > Starting Points isn't likely to have anything in it. I use AppleWorks a lot & mine is always empty.
Last edited by Peggy on Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peggy

Postby Mary B. » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:47 pm

Peggy wrote:
Mary B. wrote:

'hope this helps.

TonyB

I think the article you're referring to is about cleaning out the Recent Items aliases or it is one about deleting the AppleWorks preferences, two of which do have "cache" in the file name. Those preferences are located in HD > Users > [your account] > Library > Preferences > AppleWorks. The Cache folder in [your home account] > Documents > AppleWorks User Data > Starting Points isn't likely to have anything in it. I use AppleWorks [i]a lot[/] & mine is always empty.

Thznks - you've relieved my mind. And I will check on the Preferences file too.o
Mary B.

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo