PDF Links

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

PDF Links

Postby wjdavid » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:11 pm

I have Appleworks 6.2.9. I publish as small newsletter from the drawing file. When completed this file is converted to a compressed PDF and distributed to the membership in this form. I have created links from the, “create links,” menu. The links which are not URL addresses, but actually text converted in the document. This converted text opens to the url site when clicked on within the document, but not when clicked on in the PDF. When I replace the text link with the Url address, ( I use Tinyurl, a url compression service ), it works in both the document and the PDF.
My question is this, is there a way to get the converted text links to work in PDF the first place?
wjdavid

Re: PDF Links

Postby Barry » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:30 am

wjdavid wrote:I have Appleworks 6.2.9. I publish as small newsletter from the drawing file. When completed this file is converted to a compressed PDF and distributed to the membership in this form. I have created links from the, “create links,” menu. The links which are not URL addresses, but actually text converted in the document. This converted text opens to the url site when clicked on within the document, but not when clicked on in the PDF. When I replace the text link with the Url address, ( I use Tinyurl, a url compression service ), it works in both the document and the PDF.
My question is this, is there a way to get the converted text links to work in PDF the first place?

Short answer: Not with AppleWorks.

PDF documents created through Mac OS X are essentially electronic equivalents of a printed page. Only what would show on such a page is carried into the PDF file.
Some PDF reader applications, like some email apps, can 'recognize' an email address or URL within a string of text and display that URL as an active link. That's what's happening in your case when you replace the AppleWorks specific link with an upfront URL.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo