Appleworks Drawing not working on 10.6.7

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Appleworks Drawing not working on 10.6.7

Postby kquirici » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:58 am

Hi,

Are there any other program that will open Appleworks 6 drawing besides EazyDraw?

I couldn't get OpenOffice to open a .cwk drawing from Appleworks 6 or the .draw that
Appleworks saved the .cwk as when I specified TIFF (QT).

I know EazyDraw will open the original .cwk, but I only have the trial version and what I opened in it was only a very very partial version of the original .cwk.

Regards,

Ken
kquirici

Re: Appleworks Drawing not working on 10.6.7

Postby Peggy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:10 pm

No, nothing other than AppleWorks or EazyDraw can open AppleWorks draw documents. You will need to use an older OS, preferably Leopard or earlier, to work with the files in AppleWorks.

Rather than saving the files as TIFF, save them as PICT from AppleWorks. You'll get smaller files with as good, if not better, resolution. A lot of applications can open PICT files - GraphicConverter, Photoshop Elements & Preview (in 32-bit mode) to name a few. Another option would be to print to PDF.

When you save as a different file type from AppleWorks, you must manually add the appropriate extension, AppleWorks won't do it for you. If you get an error about the extension, just accept it & then fix the extension in Finder.
Peggy

Postby kquirici » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:07 pm

Thanks for the reply!

Would you happen to know if the full version of EazyDraw will open the .draw
version of the Appleworks .cwk so it looks the same as the original? Colors come across
the same, objects are the same, etc?

Regards,

Ken
kquirici

Postby Peggy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:08 pm

Sorry, no. I converted the content of my AppleWorks draw documents to AW word processing documents & then opened them in Pages so I have no need to use EazyDraw. I did check it out & it seems complex & expensive.
Peggy

Postby wmwu100 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:14 pm

I recently upgraded to OSX 10.6.7. Afterwards, Appleworks 6.2.9, the version that I had been using, would not open, even after I installed Rosetta from OSX 10.6.7. I searched the forums for help on this. It seems that you have to reinstall Appleworks. The original version that I had was Appleworks 6.2.2 and I had updated it to Appleworks 6.2.9.

I went back into my storage and dug out the original Appleworks 6.2.2 and reinstalled it. This seems to have worked. I can now open my Appleworks Draw files. It also saves and prints properly. The Word Processor and Paint seems to work also. I have not tested the others. Remember, you must install Rosetta from OSX 10.6.7 in order to run the older Apple app's. This used to be automatically included in the install, but not anymore.

WW
wmwu100

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo