Math Presentations and Keynote

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among iWork users.

Math Presentations and Keynote

Postby haumann » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:29 am

Keynote doesn't make it easy to enter professional-looking mathematic expressions or equations. Fortunately, the Equation Editor that comes with AppleWorks (or ClarisWorks) is enough to change that.

Use the AW (or CW) Equation Editor to craft your expressions or equations. You can copy the resulting image from any AW document into Keynote. The opaque background rectangle can be avoided by simply copying the equation directly from the equation editor to the clipboard, then pasting the clipboard contents to your Keynote slide. The results are crisp and completely scaleable in Keynote. Adding a shadow to the equation is easy, and gives it a classy touch.

John@was
haumann

Re: Math Presentations and Keynote

Postby Warren Williams » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:07 pm

haumann wrote:Keynote doesn't make it easy to enter professional-looking mathematic expressions or equations. Fortunately, the Equation Editor that comes with AppleWorks (or ClarisWorks) is enough to change that.

Use the AW (or CW) Equation Editor to craft your expressions or equations. You can copy the resulting image from any AW document into Keynote. The opaque background rectangle can be avoided by simply copying the equation directly from the equation editor to the clipboard, then pasting the clipboard contents to your Keynote slide. The results are crisp and completely scaleable in Keynote. Adding a shadow to the equation is easy, and gives it a classy touch.

John@was

Thanks for posting this tip, John. Do you mind if we publish it in an upcoming issue of the soon-to-be-expanded AppleWorks/iWork Journal?
Warren Williams

Re: Math Presentations and Keynote

Postby haumann » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:57 pm

Warren Williams wrote:Thanks for posting this tip, John. Do you mind if we publish it in an upcoming issue of the soon-to-be-expanded AppleWorks/iWork Journal?

Warren,

I'd be tickled just to know that it was worth passing on.

For my classes, I prefer to use the Blackboard theme in Keynote. I found that crafting good looking expressions and/or equations in Keynote was next to impossible. The first time I discovered that the contents from Equation Editor could be used in Keynote I was both pleased, and disappointed at the same time -- pleased because of the result, but disappointed that the EE output was limited to black text color (which didn't contrast well in my preferred theme, and the color couldn't be changed in Keynote).

If you think anyone is interested, I've worked that out, too.

John@was
haumann

Return to iWork Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo