Opening word .docs

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among iWork users.

Opening word .docs

Postby jmaletsky » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:10 am

Pages seems to be no longer recognizing .doc files I am getting. I can't open or insert/place them. (AppleWorks doesn't recognize them either). Has a new version of Word come out that Pages can't recognize?
jmaletsky

.doc files

Postby je » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:43 pm

Have these been created with the MS "Publisher" application? If so, NOTHING will open these files, including any other MS product on MS OSs.

If not, try Text Edit or ICWord, but if memory serves correctly, those are Publisher documents.
je

Sorry I was wrong

Postby je » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:48 pm

Sorry, my memory is going. Publisher file extensions are .pub.

So, I can't help with your .doc files.

However, do try Text Edit.

And also ICWord as I mentioned above. It is available for a free trial period.
je

Re: Opening word .docs

Postby Dale » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:44 am

jmaletsky wrote:Pages seems to be no longer recognizing .doc files I am getting. I can't open or insert/place them. (AppleWorks doesn't recognize them either). Has a new version of Word come out that Pages can't recognize?

No, there isn't a new version of Word that Pages or AppleWorks won't recognise.

This doesn't appear to be a problem with either Pages or AppleWorks, but something to do with Mac OS X on your computer.

Can you describe exactly what happens when you try to open a Word document in AppleWorks?
Dale

Re: Opening word .docs

Postby jmaletsky » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:06 am

I have tracked down the problem to the district email system. I realized that when I tried to read .docs sent to my in-district email they wouldn't open, but if they were sent through my ISP email account I had no problems opening them with Pages. Don't know how or why this happens, ah the mysteries of technology! Thanks for your suggestions and time.

Dale wrote:
jmaletsky wrote:Pages seems to be no longer recognizing .doc files I am getting. I can't open or insert/place them. (AppleWorks doesn't recognize them either). Has a new version of Word come out that Pages can't recognize?

No, there isn't a new version of Word that Pages or AppleWorks won't recognise.

This doesn't appear to be a problem with either Pages or AppleWorks, but something to do with Mac OS X on your computer.

Can you describe exactly what happens when you try to open a Word document in AppleWorks?
jmaletsky

Return to iWork Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo