Using Appleworks 6 with 10.3

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among iWork users.

Using Appleworks 6 with 10.3

Postby binascraps » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:05 pm

I need some advice on loading Appleworks onto a PB G4 running 10.3. I bought this Appleworks 6 verson a couple of years ago to put on my G3 running 8.6 (yes, I was in the dino area of computers and software). I recently acquired a PB G4 (used) and it did not have any text editing software. I was told I could run Appleworks 6 on the computer, but when I attempted to load it, I got a message about not having Classic 9 or later on the computer. 9 is on the computer, but I'm not operating with that and since I'm unfamilar with the dual OS, perhaps someone can help me work through this.
Thanks,
Sabina
binascraps

Re: Using Appleworks 6 with 10.3

Postby binascraps » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:10 pm

I'm sorry, I just realized that this got posted to the wrong group. Please ignore.
binascraps

Re: Using Appleworks 6 with 10.3

Postby Barry » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:55 pm

binascraps wrote:I need some advice on loading Appleworks onto a PB G4 running 10.3. I bought this Appleworks 6 verson a couple of years ago to put on my G3 running 8.6 (yes, I was in the dino area of computers and software). I recently acquired a PB G4 (used) and it did not have any text editing software. I was told I could run Appleworks 6 on the computer, but when I attempted to load it, I got a message about not having Classic 9 or later on the computer. 9 is on the computer, but I'm not operating with that and since I'm unfamilar with the dual OS, perhaps someone can help me work through this.
Thanks,
Sabina

Hi Sabina,

You did realize that you had posted in the wrong forum, but I surprised that you didn't simply repost in the correct one.

The message you're getting is there because the Installer on the disk you're using runs in OS 9 (and earlier), but not in OS 10. If you have a "System Folder" containing Mac OS 9 on your PowerBook, you should be able to switch to that OS to install AppleWorks, then switch back to using OS X.

In OS X: First Quit all running applications.
Go to the Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
In Preferences, choose Startup Disk (in the System row).
The Mac will search your hard drive for available startup files.
Choose System Folder (not System, which is the folder containing OS X).
Click Restart.

When the restart is completed, insert your AppleWorks Install disk and proceed with the installation.

When the installation is completed, you'll need to reset the startup disk to your OS X folder. In OS 9, Startup Disk is a menu item (in the Apple Menu). Choose it, then select System and restart.

Before running AppleWorks, check its version number (Find AppleWorks in the Applications folder, Open the AppleWorks 6 folder, Click once on the AppleWorks 6 application file, then press command-I). If it's earlier than 6.2.9, go to http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120213 to get the updater.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

thank you

Postby binascraps » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:11 am

Barry,
Well, I realized my mistake and then went to the Appleworks forum and read through the posts before I posted to make sure I wasn't duplicating. I did find some information there and between both that and your very detailed post, I'm hoping I can do this.
Thank you so much and sorry for posting to the wrong board. I thought I was at the right spot, but my brain is fried from having to try to transfer files from an old G3 running 8.6 to the new PB. Some days it just doesn't pay to get up int he morning!! LOL
Thanks again,
Sabina
binascraps

It worked

Postby binascraps » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:44 am

Barry,
Well, I had to dig out the manual for my computer because it appears that whoever owned the PB before me took the Classic off it. So I had to reload the Classic stuff onto it (the book told me how to do that) from the restore software DVD I had. Then I was able to install the Appleworks, went to the website and downloaded the update (since what I had was 6.0). I haven't tried it yet, but I'm hopeful. It was probably the easiest thing I've done computer wise the last couple of weeks.
Thanks so much for your help. Now that I've found this website, I'm going to keep coming back because I've learned so much through the G3/G4 Google list and I know I'll learn a lot from here too.

Sabina
binascraps

Re: It worked

Postby Barry » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:51 pm

binascraps wrote:Barry,
Well, I had to dig out the manual for my computer because it appears that whoever owned the PB before me took the Classic off it. So I had to reload the Classic stuff onto it (the book told me how to do that) from the restore software DVD I had. Then I was able to install the Appleworks, went to the website and downloaded the update (since what I had was 6.0). I haven't tried it yet, but I'm hopeful. It was probably the easiest thing I've done computer wise the last couple of weeks.
Thanks so much for your help. Now that I've found this website, I'm going to keep coming back because I've learned so much through the G3/G4 Google list and I know I'll learn a lot from here too.

Sabina

Once you've done the update, make a backup copy of the AppleWorks 6 folder to a CD in case you have to do the reinstall in the future. To reinstall at that point, just copy the whole folder into your Applications folder, replacing the one that's there, savng the bother of launching Classic (and of updating again). You might also want to clear out all of AppleWorks's preferences files at that time as well. AW will create new ones when it's launched.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Thanks Barry

Postby binascraps » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:01 am

Thanks Barry,
I'll make sure to make a backup copy of the file so I don't have to do this again. But it was fun learning how to do it the first time!!
LOL
Sabina
binascraps

Return to iWork Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo