iWork 05 vs iWork 06

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among iWork users.

iWork 05 vs iWork 06

Postby eoin09 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:25 am

Hi

I'm new to mac's and am seriously stretching my budget getting one. Hence i am trying to cut costs where posible. iWork 06 is £55, bt i have found the '05 edtion for £30.

My question is, what is the diference between the 2 versions? And is '06 worth almost double the money?
eoin09

Re: iWork 05 vs iWork 06

Postby TerryKeelan » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:52 am

If iWork 08 is available, get that instead of 06.

there's a reason 05 is nearly half the price of 06 - it's half the program. It's been a long while since I've used 05 and I cannot recall the specific differences, although I believe one is the ability to create a table of contents. I do recall being impressed with what I thought were major improvements in 06 over 05.

Good luck,

Terry

eoin09 wrote:Hi

I'm new to mac's and am seriously stretching my budget getting one. Hence i am trying to cut costs where posible. iWork 06 is £55, bt i have found the '05 edtion for £30.

My question is, what is the diference between the 2 versions? And is '06 worth almost double the money?
TerryKeelan

Re: iWork 05 vs iWork 06

Postby TerryKeelan » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:03 am

This is the description of the 'new' features in 06, relative to 05, from its Help file:

Over 20 new templates
There are templates that help you create posters, flyers, an education scrapbook, storyboards, and newsletters. New business templates feature a report, a proposal, meeting notes, even an expense report that automatically calculates costs. Learn more

Address Book support
You can personalize your documents by using names, phone numbers, addresses, and other data defined for contacts in Address Book. This feature, sometimes referred to as mail merge, lets you reuse documents, such as letters and contracts, for multiple individuals. Learn more

Table cell formulas, sorting, and number formatting
You can add a formula to a table cell to derive and display a value in the cell based on numbers in other cells. You can sort cells in ascending or descending order, alphabetically or numerically. And you can use number formats to tailor the way numbers are displayed in table cells. Learn more

Custom shapes and shape masking
Pages comes with many predrawn shapes, but you can use the shape editing tools to create your own custom shapes. You can use shapes to crop images (displaying them in polygons, circles, and more) or to create other interesting effects in your document. Learn more

3D and scatter charts
Now you can display your data in 3D bar charts, 3D pie charts, and more, using 3D editing tools that give you precise control over angles and lighting effects. Scatter charts, which are useful for making scientific and research data comparisons, are available. Learn more

Comments
Comments are an electronic way to "write in the margin" of a document. With comments, you can make annotations that relate to particular parts of a document without actually changing the document itself. They're useful for notes to yourself, reviewer suggestions, and more. Learn more

Page thumbnails
You can use miniature versions (thumbnails) of all the pages in a document, displayed alongside of the document. The thumbnail view offers a quick way to go to specific pages and work with sections in the document. Learn more

Automatic text correction
You can have Pages fix typos automatically, or automatically replace text you type with other text. You can also make sure that sentences start with a capital letter, and that email and web addresses are automatically detected. Learn more

Expanded searching
You can conduct a search for a word or phrase that generates a list of all occurrences of the word or phrase in your document. If you select a search result in the list, the page containing the matching text is displayed in the main viewing area. Learn more

Endnotes
Instead of using footnotes, which are grouped at the bottom of a page, you can use endnotes. With endnotes, you can group notes at the end of a document or at the end of each section (such as chapters) in a document. Learn more

Terry
TerryKeelan

Return to iWork Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo